Sunday, June 24, 2012

Saying Goodbye

I know I haven't updated in a while, but there wasn't much to say other than packing, packing, and packing. We took a much needed break in Colorado last week and it was very refreshing. But now we are back and it is crazier than ever. I went out one day and when I came back there was nothing left in my room but my comforter, some books, and a desk lamp. On a plus side, I'm finding things that I thought I had lost ages ago!

This week has been pretty hard, because it really is the final goodbye. Of course, not goodbye for forever. We'll be back to visit and I know we'll all be together in Heaven someday too. I can't wait for that day! But for now, it is goodbye. I think the phrase "goodbye" is perfect though, because even though saying bye is hard, we really are leaving knowing that everything has been settled with the people we love. There aren't any grudges on our hearts, nothing left unsaid. So because of that, we can leave knowing it really is a goodbye. We know that you love us, and we love you all very very very much. We'll always be a church family, no matter what.

My whole family is trying to cram in seeing as many people as possible for one last time before we go. Personally, I am going out with friends for breakfast, lunch, coffee, and frozen yogurt on Monday. There are just so many people to say goodbye to! My friends have been so kind by throwing parties for me and giving me care packages. I can't thank them enough for all the sweet things they do.

Another thing that is hard to say goodbye to is our home. I hope that doesn't sound like I'm attached too much to physical possessions, but it's hard to let go of a place with so many memories. Last night, I was laying on the couch (my bed is apparently M.I.A.) and thinking of how much I have grown up in this house. My friends affectionally call it "the dollhouse" because of its cute look. I remember all the chilly winter nights sitting by the fire watching "It's a Wonderful Life" while dad, who claims it is his favorite movie, fell asleep before he even jumps off the bridge, and Jason tells our dog to stop licking his hot cocoa. I remember the evenings gathered around the kitchen table. Dad used to make us tell a "red light" and a "green light" (a good part and a bad part) of our day every night at dinner. I remember all the times that mom came running when Jason bumped his head on the counter when he was a toddler.All I can think when I look at the kitchen sink and all I can think of is years of sneaking down the stairs every April 1st to tie a rubber band around the spray nozzle and to quietly await my first victim. And then there's my room, which has always been my place to grow spiritually and emotionally. Hundreds of tears and journal entries were written in that room, but also hundreds of secrets and stories were told in that room over ages of giggling sleepovers. I remember when I used to go sit in my closet to think when I was upset. That probably sounds funny, but it seemed like a good place to back away from the world and just listen and pray. I laugh when I see the wall that Jason colored a picture on one day when he was mad at me for not letting him play. I see our backyard and think of Jason's ducks that he had loved so much and had trained to follow him everywhere. I see a beautiful place where we learned so much about God, about each other, and about ourselves. I love this place.

And yet I know there is more for us to learn in Houston too. And more memories to make. I heard this quote that I really love, "Life is liking riding a bike. In order to keep your balance, you must keep going." Maybe I just love that quote because I just learned how to ride a bike and I'm crazy about it, but it could not be more true. Even though our memories will always been in our hearts, the only thing to do is to keep going. To not let ourselves get worn down with grief, but to keep moving forward. Thanks for all your love and support and we miss you all very much! Next time I update, we will be in Texas. Hopefully we can tell some fun stories of our new house and new friends. God bless!
                                                                                                                   With Love, Hope

No comments:

Post a Comment